Friday 25 November 2011

Meeting real men, really?


When we go out and about as single women we come to expect certain things from the men we meet, depending of course on where we go. The general standard is man-boys , normally plastered, that can talk about nothing more than sports and cars ... *sigh I imagine the way we feel now is sort of how the mature men felt in the 1800s when talking to young 18 year old girls who could talk about nothing other than the weather; it’s actually slightly depressing!

I feel duty-bound to actually distinguish man-boys from normal men; it is a very subtle difference in attitude more than actions if I’m completely honest. A man-boy is an adult male who never grew up, who seems to live for nothing more than getting wasted, trying to score and they generally don’t have a whole lot going on upstairs; this is very different from ‘normal’ men who go out have fun, get wasted, but they know when to be responsible, they have very real responsibilities in their lives and they have plenty of interesting stuff going on upstairs. It’s a very subtle difference.

I went out the other evening and encountered something rare; I went out and met smart men! Mind you these men were kind of on the other end of the scale since they were Astronomers and IT whizzes. I was expecting to feel like I had been launched into an episode of Big Bang Theory, but I didn’t! Mind at one point they lost me when they started quoting Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, which went way over my head since I actually haven’t read the book!

I have to say, it was an awesome evening. I don’t know whether it was because I was out and about with people older than me or whether there were just no pretensions and trying to impress people. All I know is it was pretty darned entertaining and very, very refreshing! It’s so nice to go out and meet smart guys for a change!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time the other night with my geeky but unpretentious friends! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I only see this now!? I to, am really glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete