Saturday 17 September 2011

A messy start to new things


As I stood at the counter in the kitchen with flour in my hair and all over my clothes, my hands stuck in a sticky pile of goo, desperately trying to read what the hell I need to do next from the magazine just out of my line of sight … I got to pondering this business of starting new things.

I’m always starting new things, or at least trying to, everything from yoga home videos to baking bread. Well those are my two current projects. Yoga was particularly amusing as the very ‘one with the universy’ lady spouts about tilting your hips forwards and back and blah, blah, blah, I twisted around and ask my long suffering sister “my hips aren’t doing anything are they?” She just burst out laughing; I took that as a no….

I am queen of buying how to books and never quite getting round to using them or never quite understanding what is needed from me to successful do whatever has taken my fancy. I have books on paper making, calligraphy, recipe books all sitting on my book shelf looking very pretty, albeit slightly dusty from lack of use; especially the recipe books since I regularly try to teach myself to cook, but when it takes longer than 30 minutes to prepare and make I lose interest!

Why do I do this to myself I wonder? I used to think I’d randomly develop new interests when I felt I was stuck in a rut and then I’d abandon them once that feeling had passed. Okay that probably is the truth, but I’m starting to think that maybe I’m more butterfly than human; something will catch my interest and I’ll become very absorbed for about 5 seconds before fluttering off to the next thing that catches my interest …

So my options are that I am either permanently stuck in a muddy ditch or I’m an ADD butterfly, I’m not sure which is worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment